Friday, January 19, 2007

ISAIAH Washington Apologizes for Homophobic Insults



This story of Isaiah Washington’s homophobic insult to another cast member , the insult which he allegedly repeated during the Golden Globe event has lit up the phone lines in protest against Washington calling on ABC to discipline him even to fire him.
In a statement Thursday Washington apologized to his colleagues on Grey’s Anatomy and the fans of the show and especially to the lesbian and gay community for using an unacceptable term to describe co-star T.R. Knight. Washington admitted that by his repeating the work on Monday night he spoiled what might have been a perfectly good night for his colleagues. “I can neither defend nor explain my behavior. I can also no longer deny to myself that there are issues I obviously need to examine within my own soul, and I've asked for help."
Washington said he welcomed "the chance to meet with leaders of the gay and lesbian community to apologize in person and to talk about what I can do to heal the wounds I've opened."
Just goes to show that our world has a zero tolerance when it comes to discrimination. One has to be careful of what one says and not just repeat outdated stereotypes that’s out there.
When we can look at each other in the eye first as a human being and see our differences as secondary to our sacred self, maybe we won’t be so offended by a person for being gay, black, white, woman, man, rich, poor. As Martin Luther King so forcefully urged us to judge a person not by colour of their skin but by the content of their character.

I’m interested to hear your take on this political correctness that has gripped our world. Is it political correctness or a changing for the better world.

No comments: