Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Here's What I saw and How I feel about them

The Little Mosque on the Prairie

I waited with anticipation to watch this sitcom. It received a lot of hype in Winnipeg as a funny show. One of my preoccupation is to find reasons to laugh. Well I did not laugh once in this movie. I think my standard in comedy is low. I laugh at most stuff. Having said that, I liked what I heard. I liked the fact that something different, something multicultural and that it was set in the Prairie. The script was not sophisticated – many of the same stereotypes we read or hear about everyday were repeated. So there was nothing new and the delivery of the lines could perhaps improve but for me this lack of professionalism was its charm. It could have been a home movie sort of thing.
The Imam is a hot guy, easy on the eye. The African woman who played the part of Angela was I thought she played her role well.
I am sure as it continues, the script and the acting will improve. I give this a 2 our of 5 effort. I will vote for its continuance. I am sure I will get into it in a big way.


Borat

If you have not seen this film don’t bother – you are not missing anything. I paid $3 to see this at the Cheap cinema and I felt I was money badly spent. This film does not only lack content . It is gross and is filled with stupid stereotypes and scenarios. I loved the beginning and the landscape of Kazikstan and to see the ordinary folks there. The movie took a downward spiral when he left there to come to the United States. Why would someone pay to make this stupid movie. A couple people walked out the movie before it was over. I did not have the guts to do so. I felt I spent my $3 I must get some value but I would have been better off leaving and spend the time in a more productive manner. Frankly it was boring.
Here is an example of a silly part. He came to America and after spending days in the hotel he arrives at the home of some people. He asked to use the bathroom and then proceeded to bring his excrement in a bag to the dinner table to ask where he should put it. Isn’t that just gross. This just does not follow anyway. Since he stayed at a hotel equipped with flush toilet, one would think he would have learned how to use that before going to the home of this rich couple. Another part that grossed me out was when he and a fat man were fighting and the fat man sat on his face and rubbed his a** hole in Borat’s face as a punishment. That was gross and sick too.
Don’t reward sick movies and reinforce stereotypes. This movie must be busted.


Dreamgirls

This is one that is a must for you to see. It is excellent. Eddie Murphy was fantastic but Jennifer Hudson she was over the top in a good way. Her performance alone was worth the price of the movie. This is a video one might want to have in one’s home library. It is something that you might want to see over and over again. Beyonce was good too but her greatest feat is being easy on the eyes. She is a beautiful woman and for that I give her credit in this movie.
Hudson, as you might recall was one of the finalists in 2004 American Idol. I saw her there first and was upset when she was eliminated. I thought she was great then and I was right. They just did not give her a chance perhaps it is because she is a little overweight. Being overweight in the entertainment field as well as other areas as well is really a career limiting place to be. However, talent outshines this kind of handicap. You can’t buy talent. Once you have a God-given one you have to use it and it’ll be alright.
You have to see this one.

Check out my fave: www.myspace.com/maikowatsonmusic

No comments: